Nobody decides to have a dental emergency, and it can interrupt your schedule without warning. Whether your child has a toothache or has had a tooth knocked loose, call us right away for emergency dental treatment. We will work to fit you into our schedule as soon as possible.
Does My Child Have a Dental Emergency?
Sometimes it’s hard to tell when you need to see a dentist right away, when you can wait for a day or two, or when you need to head to the emergency room. If you experience any of the following, call us right away:
- A permanent tooth is knocked out. If possible, hold the tooth by the crown and gently set the tooth back into the socket. Otherwise, keep it in a cup of milk and bring it with you to our office. If a baby tooth is knocked out it cannot be placed back in the mouth, but a thorough examination should be performed on the area of injury.
- A broken tooth. Rinse your mouth with warm water and apply a cold compress. Eat soft foods only until you have seen the Dentist.
- A chipped tooth. If it is an adult tooth, try to save the piece of the tooth if possible, and place it in a glass of milk.
- A bite on the cheek or lip that won’t stop bleeding. Start by cleaning the bite with a cloth and using a cold compress. If the bleeding doesn’t stop, call us as soon as possible.
- A severe toothache. Floss around the tooth and call our office. This is especially important if any swelling of the gum tissue is associated with the toothache.
- Any swelling of the face or cheeks due to dental infection. This is a serious complication that can cause fever, illness or difficulty breathing if left untreated.
A few things that indicate a needed trip to the emergency room include:
- A broken jaw. Don’t wait to be seen for this serious injury. A broken jaw can cause complications with the rest of the facial structure and needs to be seen by a surgeon.
- Any serious lacerations to the face or mouth. The ER is best suited to help you if you need x-rays and stitches.
- An abscess that affects your breathing. If you can’t breathe, head to the emergency room as soon as possible.
We Can See You Soon
We understand an emergency can interrupt your plans, which is why we do everything we can to see your child as soon as possible. We can often get you in for a same-day appointment.
Our team can put your child at ease during their emergency visit. With a friendly and compassionate staff and our sedation dentistry options, your child can have a comfortable emergency dental treatment.
Call Us Right Away!
Don’t hesitate to call us when your child has a dental emergency. Our team is ready to help! We will work with you regarding scheduling, anxieties, and costs so your life has less stress.